THE SEASON OPENED.

Harvard Outclasses williams in the First Game and Wins by 20 to 0.

Harvard won the opening game of the season Saturday afternoon, defeating Williams by the score of 20 to 0, in two well played halves of fifteen minutes each. The initial appearance of the 'Varsity was decidedly encouraging. Although Williams was somewhat weaker than last year, they nevertheless presented a heavy team that is capable of very good football. The score does not show how much Harvard outclassed her opponents. Only once was the ball lost on downs, and Williams never succeeded in holding the ball for more than four downs. In point of team play the latter was very much inferior. Harvard on the other hand gave a very presentable exhibition of interference for so early in the season. During the first half the team played a fast, snappy game, which abounded in sensational runs. The second half was slower owing in part to the retirement of several of the best men. Doucette injured his knee, Wheeler sustained a compound fracture of the nose, while Cochrance and Sullivan were both laid off with turned ankles. Their places were taken by Burden, Swain, Maguire and Cozzens. Burden did fairly well although his poor snapping at times had something to do with Maguire's inaccurate passing. The play of the 'Varsity during this half deteriorated considerably over their previous showing. The tendency to fumble became more marked, and the men played with less snap. The punting of both sides was very fair. Haughton, however, outclassed Draper in this particular.

The best playing of the afternoon was done by Dibblee, who at right half back gave a splendid exhibition of dodging and running with the ball. Several times he made runs averaging forty yards and he carried the ball across the line for two of the four touchdowns. He was responsible for most of Harvard's gains.

Nearly all of the 'Varsity did fast individual work. This was especially true of Donald, who continually helped his backs and played a strong defensive game.

Of the Williams men, Lotz at right guard, Chadwell at left end and Draper at left half back excelled.

Line-up and summary:

HARVARD. WILLIAMS.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., Rutter.

Wheeler, Swain, l. t. r. t., Eaton.

Bouve, l. g. r. g., Lotz.

Doucette, Burden, c. c., Beiler.

Shaw, r. g., l. g., Black.

Donald, r. t. l. t., Simmons.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Chadwell.

Cochrane, Maguire, q. b. q. b., A. Davis.

Dibblee, r. h. b. l. h. b., Draper.

Sullivan, Cozzens, l. h. b. r. h. b., Branch.

Haughton, f. b. f. b., Denman.

Score-Harvard 20, Williams 0. Touchdowns-Haughton, Dibblee 2, Cozzens. Goals from touchdowns-Cochrane, Haughton. Umpire-F. Draper. Referee-W. Mackie. Linesmen-A. R. Marsh and A. Gould. Time-15-minute halves. Attendance-3200.

The Freshman football squad went through the regular practice on Saturday afternoon before the Williams game. Three new men appeared: E. Postlethwaite, P. H. Sylvester and B. Z. Kasson. The candidates who are out now are working hard but it will be difficult to develop a winning team unless a much larger number of men come out immediately.