SATURDAY'S GAME.

Harvard is Scored on but Shows Promising Form.

Harvard showed her most promising form of the year in the game with Cornell on Saturday, which was won with comparative ease by the score of 24-5. Although scored upon the first time this season, the 'Varsity simply outclassed their opponents in straightforward football, being weak in but one particular, namely, punting. Cornell's score was not the result of any superior strength either in the line or among the backs, but of one of those opportunities which, however unevenly two teams may be matched, are always presented through instances of constantly recurring carelessness. In this particular case it proved to be a muffed punt by Dibblee on his 15 yard line which enabled Cornell to secure the ball.

Harvard exhibited throughout the game a fatal weakness. The forwards held continually and were often off-side, a fault that told immensely with an umpire as impartial and alert as Mr. Dashiel. The backs kept together better on interference than they have done previously this year. They also started quicker and ran with more precision, all of which favorably commends the system of devoting much time to signal practice, which has been so minutely carried out lately. Dibblee's work was little short of phenomenal, as he was always sure of a gain, making long runs not only with good interference but often alone. His 70 yard run, unprotected, was certainly the feature of the game. Parker also ran strongly for good gains, being particularly noticeable on the defence, however, for an aggressiveness which enabled him to break through and block kicks. Warren was not up to his usual form. He rushed fairly well, but his punting was poor, an exchange of kicks nearly always resulting in a loss for Harvard.

At quarter, Garrison ran the team with his usual judgment, although he should have saved his backs more by punting oftener. His defense was strong and his blocking-off particularly effective. He was called upon to kick the goals and was successful in all but the last attempt, when the ball struck the upright and bounded back. Moulton and Cabot proved to be almost invulnerable on the ends although several of Cornell's longest runs were made on fakes through tackle and end.

The forwards were all strong on the defense. They showed, however, as before stated, the unfortunate tendency for off-side play, Swain, and Mills especially, erred most often in this respect. Excepting this fault, Swain played a strong game. He broke up Cornell's mass plays well and tackled for frequent losses. Shaw and Boal both played steadily. Boal, as a groundgainer, was used with telling effect. He was always sure of a gain. His worst fault is that he still runs too high. Doucette played his usual brilliant game at centre, following the ball with great precision and was always effective in breaking up centre plays.

The line-up and summary follow:

HARVARD. CORNELL.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., McKeever.

Swain, l. t. r. t., McLaughlin.

Boal, l. g. r. g., Faville.

Doucette, c. c., Schoch, Tengerman.

Shaw, r. g. l. g., Reed.

Mills, r. t. l. t., Leuder.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Lee, Tracy.

Garrison, q. b. q. b., Young.

Dibblee, l. h. b. r. h. b, Wilson.

Parker, r. h. b. l. h. b., Whiting.

Sullivan, Sawin, r. h. b.

Warren, f. b. f. b., Dempsey, Perkins.

Score-Harvard, 24; Cornell, 5. Touchdowns-Cabot, Boal 2, Mills. Goals from touchdowns-Garrison 3. Goal from field-Young. Safety-Whiting. Umpire-Paul Dashiel, Lehigh. Referee-Parke Davis, Lafayette. Linesmen-Tengerman and Hackett, Cornell. Curtis, B. A. A. Time-keeper-F. Wood, B. A. A. Time-30 min. and 25 min. halves.