Specitrum of a Meteor.

The photographs of the spectra of the stars taken at the Harvard College Observatory as part of the Henry Draper Memorial differ in two respects from those ordinarily taken elsewhere. Instead of using a spectroscope with a slit, in which but one star is photographed at a time, large prism is placed over the object glass of the telescope and thus spectra of all the bright stars in the field of view are obtained. The number of stars photographed simultaneously is still further increased by substituting for the object glass a portrait lens like that used by photographers, only larger. The field of view is in this way increased from two degrees square to ten degrees square, and a photograph is obtained of the spectra of all the brighter stars in this large region. Many thousand plates, covering the entire sky, have been taken in this way at the Cambridge and Arequipa stations of this observatory. As a result, numerous remarkable objects have been discovered. One of the latest is the spectrum of a meteor which has thus been photographed for the first time. Since it is impossible to foresee when the bright meteors will appear, or what path they will follow, a photograph will be obtained only when one happens to cross the field of the telescope. A number of trails of meteors have been obtained, both here and else-where, when charts of the stars were photographed, no prism being used. When the prism was in place no meteor bright enough to leave a noticeable trail has heretofore been photographed on the many thousand plates examined.

The results obtained show an important resemblance between meteors and stars having bright lines in their spectra, and may aid in determining the conditions of temperature and pressure in these bodies. Since bright meteors sometimes appear during the November meteoric shower a special effort will be made here to obtain photographs of them, both trails and spectra, tonight.