IN TRIBUTE TO JUSTIN WINSOR.

The Massachusetts Library Club Meets and Passes a Resolution.

At a meeting of the Massachusetts Library Club held at Medford on Oct. 22, the following resolution was adopted:

"Resolved, That on the death of Justin Winsor, LL. D., Librarian of Harvard University, and President of the American Library Association, the Massachusetts Library Club desires to express its sense of the high value of Dr. Winsor's services to librarianship and to learning in America. Standing for many years at the head of his profession, he united in a remarkable degree the accurate and extended learning of the older generation of librarians with the administrative force and understanding of the needs of the hour, which are demanded of the modern librarian.

His administration of both the Boston Public Library and the Harvard College Library has had its effect on libraries throughout the country. The Public Library he brought into vital contact with the people to a degree not achieved before and in a way which has stimulated other libraries. In the College Library the influence of his liberal administration has been not less important to the library and to college education. His readiness to meet the wants of the Faculty, and to administer the library in the interest of the elective system fostered a change in the methods of study in the University which would have been impossible without the co-operation of the Librarian.

"As a bibliographer he worked in many lines, and as a historian he has set in order for other students the materials in the field which he made his own, and has had the good fortune to finish a wellrounded task, beginning with a history of his native town published nearly fifty years ago, followed by a history of the city which he served, and by a mounmental work on the history of America, supplemented by the story of the geographical discovery of America from the time of Columbus and his companions till the occupation of the continent was won.

"So great was the respect for his judgment and position that but few of the larger libraries of the country have not at some time sought his advice and profited by his counsel always freely given to those who asked it. In his death we have lost 'a master and a friend.' "

On recommendation of the committee which submitted the resolution, it was voted, that, in order that the memory of Dr. Winsor's life and work may be brought before the members of this club in a more fitting manner than is possible today, the Executive Committee be requested to provide that a suitable memorial paper may be presented at the next meeting of the club.