MOTT HAVEN ATHLETICS.

Review of the Autumn's Work.- Cross Country Run Again Postponed.

The work which has been done this fall by the candidates for the Mott Haven team has been both encouraging and discouraging. In the 'Varsity games there was a large number of entries and all the men made very creditable times, despite the heavy track and unfavorable weather.

The Freshman games on the other hand were disappointing. It was thought that the new system of dividing the Freshman class into ten sections according to dormitories would bring more men out to train and make the competition keener, but, on the contrary, there were even less entries than before. The fact that the events were not closely contested partly accounts for the slow times.

T. E. Burke won the quarter and half mile easily, but as he ran for Boston University last year he can not compete for Harvard this spring. Applegate and Clark, who won second places in these events, ran very well and will probably develop into point winners. A. W. Robinson, the interscholastic champion, was not hard pushed in the 100 yards dash. If he can swing into the stride quicker after the start he will be a hard man to beat. C. M. Rotch did good work in the high jump, considering that he had just recovered from illness. E. N. Mills has had to be careful of a strained tendon in his leg. He is able to jog at an easy pace but as soon as he begins to sprint his old injury troubles him. With the exception of these five, no promising Freshmen came out; however, several of the men on the football team have good records on the track.

Of the old men, W. G. Morse '99, has the best record. In the 'Varsity games he won the 220 yds. hurdles from scratch in 25 3-5 seconds, only one fifth slower than the winning time at the intercollegiate meet last spring, and in the running high jump he cleared the bar at 5 ft. 11 1-4 in., on his first trial. D. Grant also has been making good records this fall. He won the mile run in the 'Varsity games in 4m. 30 4-5s., and was first in the two hare and hound runs in which he was a hound. Last Saturday he won the B. A. A. five-mile cross country run.

The number of men who have taken part in the hare and hound runs this fall was smaller than usual, but the time has been good. H. B. Clark 1901, and O. W. Richardson '99, together with Grant, have divided the honors in these runs winning seven of the eleven prizes.

The cross country run was again postponed on account of the muddy condition of the streets yesterday afternoon. It will be held this afternoon at 3.45 sharp.