AFFAIRS AT PENNSYLVANIA.

A Change in the College Government. Intercollegiate Relay Meeting.

PHILADELPHIA, PA., Feb. 10, 1897.

In the Annual Report just published by the Provost, attention is called to the great number of important changes that have taken place during the last year in the administration of the affairs of the college by the founding of a Board of Deans and by the substitution of an Academic Council for the cumbersome Faculty Committee. Exclusive of the dormitories there have been erected during the year the Agnew Memorial Pavilion, the Maternity Hospital, the Pepper Clinical Laboratory, a new dental hall soon to be ready for occupation, and the Flower Observatory which is now in active operation. In addition to buildings, a botanic garden, terrestrial and aquatic, has been established which has proved of great value in making practical demonstrations of plant life. Explorations under the direction of the Department of Archaeology and Paleontology have been made in South America, Florida, Yucatan, Babylonia, Honduras, Corea, Guatemala and Egypt, and a university museum to cost $300,000 is under way.

Active preparations have begun for the next annual production of the Mask and Wig Club, to take place as usual during Easter week. The play is a burlesque written by the author of "Erminie" and is called "Very Little Red Riding Hood." In all respects except authorship the play will be produced entirely under the direction of the students and members of the club. and the chorus has begun work already. The cast will be weakened this year by the loss of William Ernst and Howard K. Mohr, who took the principal men's parts last year.

The indoor track which was constructed last fall underneath the grand stand on Franklin Field has proved as great a success as was expected and at present there are over a hundred track team candidates training regularly upon it-a larger number than has ever before appeared until much later in the season. The Intercollegiate Relay Meet, to which more than sixty colleges and as many schools have been invited, will take place on Saturday, April 24. The preliminary arrangements have been completed, except the grouping of the colleges, universities and schools. There will be two races to determine the college championship of America, the one mile and the four mile. Four men will constitute a team, as was the case last year.

THE PENNSYLVANIAN.