NEW BOOKS.

In Harper's Contemporary Essayists:

Book and Heart: Essays on Literature and Life. By Thomas Wentworth Higginson. pp. vi., 237. Post 8vo, Cloth, Ornamental, Uncut Edges and Gilt Top.

Among the Essays on Literature in this volume are: "A Keats Manuscript," "A World Outside of Science," "Lowell's Closing Years at Camrbidge," "Local Fiction," and "The Next Step in Journalism;" while under the caption of "Life," Colonel Higginson discusses, among other things: "The Cant of Cosmopolitanism," "Anglomania and Anglophobia," "International Marriages," "The Test of Talk," "Overclubableness," and "Living by the Church."

Harper's Contemporary Essayists.

The Relation of Literature to Life. By Charles Dudley Warner. pp. vi., 320. Post 8vo, Cloth, Ornamental, Uncut Edges and Gilt top, $1.50.

Impressions and Experiences. By W. D. Howells. pp. iv., 281. Post 8vo, Cloth. Ornamental, Uncut Edges and Gilt Top, $1.50.

Aspects of Fiction, and Other Ventures in Criticism. By Brander Matthews. pp. iv., 234. Post 8vo, Cloth, Ornamental, Uncut Edges and Gilt Top, $1.50.

Literary Landmarks of Rome.

By Laurence Hutton, Author of "Literary Landmarks of Florence," "Literary Landmarks of Venice, etc. Illustrated. pp. viii., 75. Post 8vo, Cloth, Ornamental, $1.00.

Mr. Hutton's previous books of similar character on "Florence," "Venice," "London," "Edinburgh," and "Jerusalem," are a sufficient indication of the motive and style of the present volume and of the accuracy and care with which it has been prepared.

The Green Book;

Or, Freedom Under the Snow. A Novel. By Maurus Jokai, Author of "Black Diamonds." Translated by Mrs. Waugh. 16mo, Cloth, Ornamental, $1.50. In "The Odd Number Series."

The story is one of Underground Russia, and deals especially with the secret and terrible power of the Nihilists. It has a strong historical background and an absorbing plot. Jokai never forgets that, after all, the story is the thing, and here is one whose moving complications may well stir the feeblest pulse. It is a book to read and to be read again, a story instinct with the pure romance of the Thousand-and-One Nights.