PENNSYLVANIA LETTER.

Baseball News.- The Cricket Team.- The Cornell Debate.

PHILADELPHIA, PA., Mar. 10, 1897.

Captain Blakley of the baseball team still continues to weed out his candidates so that there are but thirty-one still at practice at the Riding Academy. In addition to the large majority of the men who played baseball last year there are a number of very promising candidates from the freshman class, and it seems probable that the battery will be stronger than it was last year.

The indications for an unusually strong cricket team are very marked for P. H. Clark, captain of last year's Harvard team, and Coca and Howson of the Haverford team are now undergraduates in the university and will in all probability become members of the team.

As the result of the senior elections for honor men C. L. McKeehan was chosen spoon man as the most popular man of his class, E. Essig, bowl man, as the second most popular man, J. D. Winsor, Jr., received the class cane and A. S. Brooke the spade.

The crew has commenced its spring practice on the river and shows good form for this season of the year. The freshman crew are very light but row in good form, and Coach Ward has stated that but for this lack of weight the freshman class would undoubtedly have good chances of producing a strong and winning crew.

The outcome of the Cornell debate was unexpected to many of the Pennsylvania sympathizers on Saturday evening, but the justice of the decision was never for a moment doubted. Yet it is generally felt that the Pennsylvania debaters certainly did themselves much credit in the face of the fact that the judges might possibly have been influenced, though not prejudiced, in favoring the side of the question most evidently the right and just one. Possibly the mistake made by the Pennsylvania debaters consisted in placing too much stress upon oratorical expression and not enough upon the matter of the argument.

THE PENNSYLVANIAN.