THE SHAW MONUMENT.

Professor James to be one of the Orators at the Unveiling.

The monument to Colonel Robert G. Shaw of the fifty-fourth Massachusetts, which has been for many years in preparation, is at last to be put up on Boston Common. Colonel Shaw entered Harvard with the class of '60, but left college just before the end of his junior year. He entered the army just before the before the beginning of the war and served for a while in the 7th New York National guards. He soon exchanged to the second Massachusetts, however, where he served until in February of '63 Governor Andrew gave him the command of the fifty-fourth Massachusetts infantry. This regiment was the first colored regiment sent to the war. At the end of May of the same year the regiment left Boston for the front. On the 18th of the next July Colonel Shaw was killed while leading his men in the charge on Fort Wagner.

A few years after the war private subscriptions were taken up with the purpose of erecting a monument to Colonel Shaw's memory. The City of Boston gave a piece of ground on the Park St. end of the Common, opposite the State house, as a site for the monument. Mr. St. Gaudens was chosen as sculptor.

The public unveiling of the monument is to take place next Decoration Day. Professor Wm. James and Booker T. Washington, who was given an honorary A. M. at the last Commencement, are to be the principal orators of the day.