'Varsity Baseball.

It is not too much to say that the prospects for the 'varsity baseball nine this year are higher than were those of last year. Then Captain Wiggin had almost no veteran material. Although Corbett and Dickinson had played against Yale two years before, Cook was the only man in the University eligible to play who had played against Yale in any of the three games of the previous year. This year Cook and Corbett are the only men on last year's team who cannot play again. It is not certain whether Dickinson and Wiggin can, by the terms of the undergraduate rule, play again. Both did some playing in their freshman year, but whether enough to debar them from playing on the 'varsity this year is not certain. Their cases will be decided at the meeting of the athletic committee which is soon to take place. R. E. Paine is in the Law School and is eligible. Paine will undoubtedly try for the team.

The only positions which must surely be filled by new men are third base and left field, while possibly first base and centre field will also be vacant. It has been rumored that John Clarkson, the well-known pitcher, would coach the 'varsity this spring, but no such arrangement has been made. The chances are that Tim Keefe, who has coached in the past, will do so again this spring.

Captain Whittemore will have valuable assistance from Cook and Wiggin, the two graduate captains who are now in the Law School.