SCIENTIFIC REQUIREMENTS.

Admission Requirements in the L. S. S. to be Gradually Raised.

The following preliminary statement of requirements for admission to the Lawience Scientific School has received the approval of the Faculty of Arts and and Sciences. The plan contemplates bringing the admission requirements up to substantial equality with those of the College by adding new subjects from time to time. The studies are arranged in three greups. In those studies which are the same for admission to Harvard College and the Scientific School the examinations will be identical.

Group I.(All the studies of this group are prescribed, except that Advanced German may be offered in place of Elementary French, or Advanced French in place of Elementary German.)

Elementary-English, German, French, History of Greece and Rome, or History of the United States and England, Algebra, Plane and Solid Geometry.

Group II.Either of the first two studies or any two of the last five studies of this group must be offered. It is recommended that Physics be selected.

Elementary-Physics, Chemistry, Physiography, Anatomy, Physiology, and Hygiene, Botany, Zoology.

Advanced-Astronomy.

Group III.(After 1898 selections from this group may be offered in accordance with directions to be given later.)

Elementary.- Greek, Latin, German, French. (See remark under Group I).

Drawing-Freehand, Projections.

Shopwork-Wood-working, Blacksmithing, Chipping, Filing, and Finishing, Machine-tool Work.

Advanced-German, French, Logarithms and Trigonometry, Algebra, Physics, Meteorology.

No candidate can offer an advanced study who has not offered the corresponding elementary study; but Physics is considered elementary with respect to Meteorology, and Geometry with respect to Astronomy.

The requirements for admission in 1897 to the Scientific School are equivalent to Group I, with the substitution of Phy, ics for either the German or the French.

In 1898 a candidpte may satisfy the requirements by passing the examinationsin-

(1) all the studies of Group I;

(2) one, or two, studies selected from Group II as stated in the remarks under that group.

It is proposed after 1898 to require every year one or two additional studies to be selected from Groups II and III until the total requirements for entrance shall be equal to those of the College.

Candidates will be able to ascertain which subjects are anticipatory by consulting the Scientific School Pamphlet or the Harvard University Catalogue.