YALE WINS.

For the second time since intercollegiate debating contests were established between Harvard and Yale the debate has been won by Yale. The question for debate was: "Resolved, That the United States should adopt definitively the single gold standard and should decline to enter a bimetallic league even if Great Britain, France and Germany should be willing to enter such a league." The contest was one of the closest ever held, as is shown by the fact that the judges were out twenty minutes before they came to a final decision. The speaking on both sides was of a very high order. The best all-round man for Yale was C. S. MacFarland, who delivered his clear-cut arguments in a careful and convincing manner. Clark was good in argument, but was at times almost inaudible. The same was true to some extent of Studinski, whose form, however, was for the most part good. In form Wrightington excelled for Harvard, while Dobyns was most convincing in argument. At first Dorr's delivery was faulty, but he quickly improved and brought his points out clearly.

Governor Roger Wolcott, as presiding officer, in a short and pleasing speech, preceded the debaters.