JUNIOR DINNER.

A Most Satisfactory Social Meeting of the Class.

The Junior Dinner took place last night at the Hotel Vendome, and was certainly successful beyond the utmost hopes of the class. The committee showed excellent judment in all their arrangements and everything passed off without a hitch. The speeches were remarkably fine and aroused the greatet possible enthusiasm among the audience, which reached the unprecedented number of 250. Perhaps the only point to be regretted is that a considerable number of men left the hall after the regular speeches had been given thinking that the dinner was at an end, while those who remained heard a number of extemporaneous speeches.

Gott's orchestra, which furnished the music, played during the dinner, while the class sang any of the songs which they happened to know. Between the courses, the Glee Club sang Johnny Harvard, Sneider's Band, and other songs, while solos by E. M. Waterhouse and H. W. Howe were repeatedly encoured.

Undoubtedly the hit of the evening was scored by H. Schurz in his humorous description of "The Drama" as he had observed it. Among the other speeches it would be difficult to say which was the best, though perhaps the class poem by H. T. Nichols, and R. C. Davis's speech on "Debating" excelled.

Both Wrightington and Dean spoke somewhat seriously about Harvard spirit in athletics, and also denied most emphatically the charge sometimes made that there has ever been favoritism shown in the selection of Harvard teams. Both men regretted that not enough interest is shown by the students in regard to the daily practice, and that some men who might be useful as candidates feel no sense of duty about coming out to do their share toward improving the teams. Both captains asked for a hearty support from the University and expressed their confidence of turning out winning teams if this were given. Great enthusiasm prevailed during these speeches and the speakers were cheered again and again.

W. L. Garrison, Jr., and F. A. Burlingame who spoke for "The Class" and "The Press" respectively were fully up to the standard of the other speeches, while A. H. Parker who presided as toastmaster, left nothing to be desired in his amusing and appropriate introductions.

After the regular speeches, toasts were replied to by the following men: H. C. de V. Cornwell, "The Class Crew," H. Miller, "The Monthly;" H. G. Gray, "The Cricket Team;" E. L. Rantoul, "The Class Eleven."

After this the whole class joined in singing "Fair Harvard" and then left for Cambridge by the special cars which were provided.