FRESHMAN TRIAL DEBATE.

A Large Number of Men Spoke.- Good Speeches as a Rule.

The first of the competitive debates to choose a team from the Freshman Debating Club to speak against the Sophomore members of the Harvard Union, was held last evening in Sever 11. The question for debate was "Resolved, That Hawaii should be annexed to the United States as a self-governing territory, to be admitted as a state only with the consent of all the states." The trial was open to all members of the club.

The trial was in many respects very satisfactory. By far the most encouraging thing about it was that fifty-two men spoke, more than have spoken at any previous trial debate held in the University and nearly twice as many as spoke at the Freshman trials last year. The quality of the speaking was good, but there were no remarkably strong speeches, probably owing to the fact that the time was limited to three minutes.

Nearly all the speakers showed intelligence in their general treatment of material, but nearly all showed a tendency to try to cover altogether too much ground. Aside from this, the most noticeable fault was a general crudeness in form. Very few men spoke directly and forcibly at their audience and many had bad mannerisms. It should be said, however, that the men had in general a good flow of language and spoke entirely without notes.

The judges, from the Union and Forum, chose the following twenty men to speak at the second trial debate: R. S. Holland, E. D. Gould, F. H. Stevens, A. P. Fitch, F. W. Buxton, R. C. Bolling, M. W. Stimson, J. J. Perkam, A. Hasbrook, R. D. Gray, A. W. Hollis, G. O. Smith, J. E. McCloskey, S. B. Southworth, W. R. Adams, F. P. Bennet, Jr., J. M. Kullmer, W. P. Eaton, J. A. Richards, M. Seasongood.

In place of the regular debate of the Freshman Debating Club next week, Dr. McKenzie of Cambridge will address the club. A week later the second competitive debate will take place. The question will be "Resolved, That an income tax is a desirable part of the scheme of taxation."