THE WELD RACE.

Ninety-Eight Wins After a Hard Contest with Ninety-Nine.

The race of the Weld crews on Saturday resulted in a hard-won victory for '98, '99 finishing only half a length behind. Ninety-seven succeeded in beating out the Freshmen in the last half mile and thus finished third. The time was 10 minutes 23 1-2 seconds,- rather slow considering the favorable conditions.

The Freshmen were severely handicapped by an accident which might easily have put them out of the race. Pierce, captain of the crew, who rowed 5, broke his oar-lock, but, without interfering with the stroke of the rest of the crew, he cleared his oar and jumped out of the boat. He was picked up by the launch. Notwithstanding this loss, the crew held well together and almost succeeded in beating the Seniors.

The race early resolved itself, as did the class race, into separate struggles for first and third places. All the way down the course '99 and '98 were closely together, and it was only by a small margin that the Juniors pulled out the race. Until nearly the end the Freshmen were ahead of '97, but the loss of their man proved too much for them and '97 won by half a length.

A noticeable feature of the race was the excellent stroke set by Conroy for '99. He kept the stroke long and steady. In comparison '98's stroke tended to shorten at the finish, but the crew rowed better together than did '99.

All the crews did credit to their coaches and the race as a whole showed that the men had made good progress toward acvuiring the English stroke. They also held well together in spite of their inexperience.

The winning crew was made up as follows:

Age. Weight. Height

Dobyns, stroke, 24 140 5ft. 8 1-2

Dubois, 7, 20 152 5 ft. 11 1-2

Millard, 6, 20 156 5 ft. 3-4

Wood, 5, 18 169 5 ft. 8 1-2

McBurney, 4, 21 146 5 ft. 10

Butler, 3, 21 161 6 ft.

Richards, 2, 21 161 6 ft.

Robinson, bow, 21 155 5 ft. 9

Bradlee, cox., 21 117 5 ft. 5

After the race, the following men were chosen to form the eights which will row in the New England regatta, June 17:

Intermediates-Pierce, Dobyns, Butler, McBurney, Coleman, Davis, Conroy, DuBois, Gregg, Nichols.

Juniors-Durham, Kernan, Millard, Wood, Harding, Fitzgerald, Bancroft, Robinson, Bedford.