PENNSYLVANIA LETTER.

PHILADELPHIA, PA., May 15, 1897.

In consideration of the unusually fine showing Pennsylvania has made in the dual contests with Harvard and with Cornell, it is generally felt among the students that the prospects of the university winning the Mott Haven games are brighter than they have been for some years. And not only has the work of the track team been extraordinary in actual contests, but it has also been most consistent in daily training, and the men are in good condition. In baseball, Pennsylvania has so far done well, and in recent games the team has proved stronger at the bat than was expected, judging from the weak hitting at the beginning of the season. Dickson and Brown will pitch the rest of the season, for the loss of Jackson at left field has necessitated the placing of Ritchie in that position.

Brown, the freshman pitcher, has shown up well for a beginner, and on several occasions has exhibited considerable nerve and reliability. His batting is weak, but his fielding is quick and sharp, and he is undoubtedly the most promising of the new men.

The work of the three crews is progressing favorably, though the 'varsity boat has proved an easy victor over the second crew for the past few days. This, however, is partly accounted for by the fact that the second crew's shell is heavy and their oars in bad repair.

One of the most important events which has occurred at the University in recent years was the dedication of the Flower Observatory, which has been building for the past year and a half. One of the houses contains the great Equatorial telescope, than which there are but five larger ones in this country and six in Europe. The aperture of the object is eighteen inches and the length of the instrument about twenty-seven feet. The observatory has been pronounced to be one of the finest and best equipped in the country.

Examinations have now commenced and the term will close June 3, and the week following will be given up to the Commencement exercises.

THE PENNSYLVANIAN.