Freshman Crew Criticism.

Since the class races the Freshman crew has been working steadily under the coaching of Mr. Storrow and Mr. Mumford, and, although some improvement has been made, the crew is still far from what it should be. Their general form is good, but they are lacking in watermanship.

As a whole the crew, when rowing easily, fail to catch the boat with sufficient force at the beginning of the stroke, which tends to make it unsteady. Besides this, there is another most conspicuous fault. When rowing hard there is a tendency to use the arms too soon, some of the men even failing to get their arms straight at all at any point in the stroke.

The order is just about the same as it was in the races, changes having been made only at 6 and 7. Tilton, who rowed 6, has stopped rowing, owing to heart trouble, and Higginson has been moved into his place. Kernan, who rowed on the Weld 1900 crew, has taken his place at 7. So far he has been showing up very well. Following is an individual criticism:

Stroke, Byrd, has poor control of himself when paddling easily, letting the boat constantly travel down to port. Is rowing a much shorter stroke than that rowed in the class races.

No. 7, Kernan, fails to row his shoulders back at the finish, which tends to make worse stroke's fault of rowing too short. He rows well, considering his brief experience as an oarsman.

No. 6, Higginson, is slow in beginning the recover, catches ahead, and fails to take hold hard enough at the beginning of his stroke.

No. 5, Heath, rows with fairly even pressure, but does not use his shoulders hard enough at the beginning of the stroke. This gives him an awkward position throughout the entire stroke.

No. 4, Howard, is clumsy and slow, but has plenty of strength when it is applied properly to the oar.

No. 3, Glidden, swings back too far and settles at the finish.

No. 2, Brown, fails to row his shoulders back at the finish and meets his oar.

Bow, Saltonstall, is behind on the catch, failing to cover his oar also.