THE CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION.

Much Useful Work Accomplished in the Past Year.

The work of the Harvard Christian Association has three aims-to inform men coming to Harvard of the religious activities directed by the undergraduates; to interest students in the religious side of university life, and to give men an opportunity for work in the Boston missions.

Early last September the Association began the first part of this work by mailing to all members of the incoming class the small handbook containing brief information about the religious societies, the social clubs, the musical organizations, and other matters of interest to Freshmen. This book is now sent out annually. A week before the beginning of the college year, an information bureau was opened in Holden Chapel, where a committee was ready to receive new students and to render any possible assistance. The reading rooms, which are open throughout the year, afforded a place for Freshmen to come together and meet the members of the Association. In addition to this, a large reception was held at the Colonial Club.

The principal work of the Association has been done through the weekly devotional meetings and the Bible classes. The weekly devotional meetings have been conducted for the most part by members of the Association, and in them addresses have been given by Mr. W. H. Salmon of Yale, Prof. G. H. Palmer, Dr. Alexander McKenzie, Dr. Grenfell of Oxford, and by returned missionaries.

In the Bible classes, which number fifty men, Dr. A. C. Garrett, R. M. Alden 2G., and W. W. Comfort 2G have taken up different portions of Bible study.

The activities in Boston have been confined to three departments, the first being at the Boston Industrial Home, where six members of the Association have conducted weekly gospel meetings for the inmates.

With the aid of $400 furnished by the Boston Port Society, a reading room for sailors has been opened on T wharf, where the fishing boats come in. One man from the Association visits his room each day. An excellent chance is here given for college men to study the lives of the sailors who make daily use of the room. During the year about one hundred sailors have daily availed themselves of this opportunity for reading, and writing letters. To attract sailors to this room from the city saloons, entertainments at which refreshments are served have been given there monthly.

Several men have been teaching a Chinese Sunday school on Beacon street, and three others have been living in a college settlement in Chinatown. Members of the Association have also been sent to neighboring towns-three conducted a large meeting for men in the Brockton City Theatre; one addressed the Young Men's Christian Association at Quincy, and another visited Manchester.

Perhaps the most interesting, and certainly a very valuable part, of the year's work, has been done by the delegates to the preparatory schools. Andover, Exeter, and several New York schools have been visited, and at all of them a hearty reception was accorded the Harvard men.

The expenses of the Association for the year have been $200. Besides this, $500 has been raised to pay for the services of the general secretary, who is to go into office next fall. This is a decided step forward, as a secretary has not been employed for several years, but during the past two years the work has become so wide and scattered that such a man is needed. G. Gleason '97, who is to fill the position, has had experience in the work, and, under his management, much progress is expected.

The members this year have only numbered 150, but among them are more really active men than usual. Of the sixty-five new members added this year, more than one-half have been from the Freshman class. Through the interest aroused by the Association, Harvard will be represented by over twenty-five men at the World's Student Conference at Northfield this summer.