THE MEMORIAL SERVICE.

Held in Memory of Marshall Newell Yesterday Afternoon.

The special service in memory of Marshall Newell was held yesterday afternoon in Appleton Chapel at 3 o'clock. Dr. Francis G. Peabody officiated, and Mr. W. R. Spalding '87, acted as organist. The college choir sang the following selections; "Beati Mortui," Mendelssohn; "Integer Vitae," Fleming; and the Harvard Hymn. Mr. George W. Want of the Old South Church, Boston, sang the solo, "Be Thou Faithful into Death," Mendelssohn.

After reading a few appropriate selections from the Psalms, Dr. Peabody spoke in substance as follows:

It is only natural that the friends who have been impressed by the pure life and tragic death of Marshall Newell should come here to think of him. Each year turns out from the mass of youths at this University, leaders, pure, modest and masculine characters. Marshall Newell was one of these-the true type of man. Though poor and with but few acquaintances, from the very beginning he made friends. Reserved, yet companionable-true to the type of wholesome, single-hearted men, he was one of those who leaven our life and whose memory the College rejoices to foster. His character, though outwardly controlled and reserved, was inwardly a rich world of nature and ideas. There was something in him that spoke the hero, though he himself never thought of self-advancement.

With tragic suddenness, all this is snatched away and we are left to wonder how it is that such a man be taken out of a world that needed him. The ways of death are hard to interpret, but two things we know and it is well to recall them. The work of a man's life is in its depth, not in its length; in its quality not in its quantity. He might have lived to build a railroad, to be a useful citizen or to have a happy home, but one thing we know, though it had been years later, his death, could not have brought home to his friends with greater force its lesson of a modest and unassuming life. What more can a man do in leaving this world than to give the truth of life to those he loves?

Among the large number present were the pall-bearers at Newell's funeral: B. G. Waters '94, F. W. Hallowell '93, B. W. Trafford '93, J. D. Upton '93, Neil Rantoul '92, C. K. Cummings '93, W. B. Gage '94, E. Lake '92, S. V. R. Crosby '91, D. W. Lane '94, and G. C. Lee '94. The honorary pall-bearers: D. W. M. Conant '79, C. W. Bliss '83, G. S. Winslow '83, A. P. Gardner '86, H. W. Keyes '87, and Dr. W. A. Brooks '87.

Further, were: Captain Richard Newell and Gerrish Newell, President Eliot, Dean Briggs, Professors Palmer, Beale, and Ames, Major Higginson, Col. N. P. Hallowell '61, Mr. Richard Hallowell, James Mott Hallowell '88, F. W. Hallowell '93, N. P. Hallowell, Jr., '97, D. F. Jones '92, Nelson Perkins '91, E. N. Wrightington '97, Maynard Ladd '94, R. H. Stevenson '97, Dr. J. B. Blake '87, Dr. W. A. Bradford, W. S. Johnson '94, R. P. Blake '94, C. K. Cummings '93, S. M. Williams '94, W. C. Forbes '92, W. H. Lewis, A. E. Doucette '95, Joseph Wiggin '93, J. W. Dunlop '97, Arthur Endicott '94.

The ushers were A. A. Sprague '97, S. Hollister '97, D. M. Goodrich '98, J. H. Perkins '98, Norton Shaw '98, B. H. Hayes '98, M. Donald '99, B. H. Dibblee '99.