Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

No Headline

Beyond doubt it will be a long time before a few hundred or a thousand human beings will be able to come together for any such high aim as searching after knowledge, without having all the unpleasant elements of a lower life thrust upon them. In these days to study is not only to study, but to grow unpleasantly wise in the ways of the world. The Harvard college yard was not laid out for the sportive Cambridge youth; the college itself was not founded that merchants and dealers might make fortunes; and above all, the college buildings were not erected that "peddlers, beggars, traders and book-agents" might have a convenient field in which to go harvesting; but, nevertheless, yard, college, and buildings are grossly misused in these several ways. At this time complaints against beggars, impostors and peddlers are particularly common about college. We believe that students in the college buildings cannot be too cold in receiving, or too warm in dismissing, the peddlers and beggars that come to their rooms. Extreme lack of cordiality is the only sure way of getting rid of these objectionable callers.