Fencing Prospects.

The fifth intercollegiate fencing tournament will take place at the New York Recquet and Tennis Club some time in March. Harvard, Columbia, Annapolis, and Cornell will be represented by three men each. The challenge trophy, to be held for one year by the winning team, is a bronze statue of a swordsman, and has been won by Harvard in all four tournaments.

In spite of the loss of A. G. Thacher 1 L., and A. F. Riggs '98, Harvard's chances this year are very favorable. M. D. de Diaz, who was the other member of last year's team, won first prize in the open competition for foils at the B. A. A., Nov. 20, and has been practicing steadily since. M. Green 2 L, who made an excellent showing in the junior tournament last year at New York, and won the novice foil competition at the B. A. A., will be Harvard's second representative. The third man has not yet been definitely decided upon, but the most promising candidates are F. W. Palfrey '98, A. B. Lapsley '99, and G. H. Breed '98. Mr. Rondelle has been instructing all the candidates twice a week since the first of November.

Of the other colleges, Columbia will probably be the strongest, as Mitchell and Kirby, of last year's team, are both back. Cornell has just been admitted this year, and her team will doubtless be made up of Rathbun, Amsler and Vergauben, who won second place in the last junior tournament. Annapolis will have an entirely new team, as her three men have graduated.

Harvard will also be represented by three men at the junior invitation tournament, to be held at the Fencers' Club in New York, April 1 and 2. Several of the candidates may enter the preliminaries for the National Championship of the Amateur Fencing League of America. This tournament will take place March 25 and 26 in Boston, for the members of the New England division. Those who make a total of 60 per cent. in their bouts will be entitled to compete for the National Championship at the B. A. A. during the first part of May. In addition, the league handicap tournament, to be held at the Fencers' Club in New York, March 4 and 5, and Shaw cup tournament, at the New York Athletic Club about the middle of April, are of considerable importance.