Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

No Headline

The Conference Committee has appointed a sub-committee to draft a scheme of an elementary course in common law to be added to the college studies. This idea can hardly be too highly praised, and, if carried into practice, it will meet a want long felt by every college man who has not pursued the study of law. It is to meet such a defect in college training, as the lack of a knowledge of law, that books like "Every Man His Own Lawyer," and "Woman Before the Law" have been written, - books that must fail to accomplish their end. A knowledge of common law to be valuable must be gained from practical sources. A competent and thorough instructor, the very best that could be procured, who would devote his interest to such a course might make it the most popular, perhaps, of all the college courses. As a technical knowledge such as that to be gained in a law school would not be required, the course would be patronized chiefly by those who did not in the future purpose to study law. This fact would be a valuable guide to the instructor, who could model the course to suit the demands put upon it. We wish the idea a speedy realization, and trust that next year will see the course established.