'Varsity Nine.

The nine had its last hard practice before the Yale game yesterday afternoon. The work consisted chiefly of batting and fielding. C. J. Paine '97 was out coaching the pitchers and A. Winslow '95 and D. D. Scannell '97 coached the other men in batting and fielding. The nine will be given a rest for the next few days although there will be some hard practice today.

Laughlin strained his hip in the practice yesterday and possibly will be unable to play in the Yale game Thursday, in which case in all probability Chandler will be his substitute. Hayes has a lame arm, which causes him some inconvenience, but there is little doubt that it will be limbered up by Thursday. Rand's leg is slowly improving though it is still a question of much doubt whether he will be able to enter the Yale game. If he cannot play Sears will probably take his place in left field. With the exception of these three men the nine is in good condition and has been constantly improving under the careful coaching it has lately received.