The Monthly.

The Monthly for April is one of the best of the numbers of this year. The article which Mr. Edwin H. Abbott contributes on "Harvard Clubs" occupies the place of honor and is well worth the perusal of every Harvard man. Mr. Abbott gives some interesting data concerning the Harvard clubs in the various parts of the country and draws a vivid pen picture of the benefits which such associations of cultivated men confer upon communities in the West. "Their meetings and companionship are, of course, full of enjoyment and pleasant community of past associations, but inside of this is the never-absent consciousness of that obligation which rests heavily on every educated man in such surroundings." In conclusion, Mr. Abbott urges the Board of Overseers and the Corporation to take an active interest in fostering the growth of Harvard clubs.

Perhaps the cleverest bit of prose in the issue is a half story, half sketch, by Austin Smith, entitled "Moontide." The scene of the events narrated is Boston and its surroundings, the Harvard Bridge and the Charles River, and the very familiarity of the background breeds not a contempt but a pleasure. The sketch-for it is, perhaps, more of a sketch than a story-gives in a few pages a delineation, at once life-like and pleasurable, an architect, poverty-stricken, aristocratic, and fairly intellectual, and of a concomitant fellow-being.- a governess,- with whom the architect eventually falls in love. The conflicting thoughts and emotions of the architect are excellently portrayed.

Mr. McCulloch's two-part story; "A Common Marriage," is brought to a conclusion in the present issue of the Monthly. The second part of the story is not so well told as in the first part and as a consequence is a trifle disappointing. The story, as a whole, is deficient in interest and while there are many creditable bits of character delineation and description throughout the tale, it lacks the force which usually characterizes Mr. McCulloch's poetical work.

The verse of the number is unusually good. "Dance Music" is one of Mr. Moody's most ambitious efforts and certainly one of the best of his which has appeared in the Monthly. The metre in which it is written is a happy selection, the swing and rhythm suggesting the graceful evolutions and music of the ball-room. One or two slight errors of rhyme are noticeable, but they are pardonable in consideration of the wealth of poetic diction, delicacy of description, and aptness of similes which characterize the whole poem. "Tomorrow" is a meritorious epigram.

The communication on "University Extension" calls attention to the efficacy of this form of university work. The editorials discuss at some length and in an able manner the recent action of the Overseers with regard to the so called three years scheme.