SOUTHERN TRIP.

Good Showing Made by the Nine.- Men Returned in Fine Condition.

The 'Varsity nine returned to Cambridge on Saturday evening from its southern trip with a record of four games won, one lost and one tied. In the tie game the University of North Carolina refused to continue after Harvard had scored the tieing number of runs. After the discouraging showing of the team early in the season the work of the 'Varsity nine was an agreeable surprise. The southern teams were all stronger this year than at the corresponding times last year, several of the nines having begun regular outdoor practice as early as January.

The trip passed off most successfully in accomplishing the two results most aimed at. The team to a man returned in excellent physical condition and at no time did the ordinary evil effects of a long trip and daily games interfere with the playing and spirits of the men. The team play was well rounded out, a great opportunity was presented for acquiring efficient baseball experience on strange diamonds, and as a result it is reasonable to expect that the nine has become as well seasoned as possible for this time of year.

As to the pitchers, Fitz and Morse always proved effective against the strongest teams. Cozzens and Hayes did fairly well, but both men are rapidly improving, and at present no one man seems to have proved a superiority over the others sufficient to warrant his being chosen as first 'Varsity pitcher.

The most encouraging feature of the work of the infield was strong team play and the steadiness with which the men maintained their form. McCornick was injured in the first game and his place taken by Reid until Clark joined the squad. Then Foster was put on first, his old position on the College nine, and Clark played at third for the rest of the trip. Haughton is rapidly falling into his new position at second and before long should justifly the action of the coaches in playing him there. Laughlin's work was always of a high standard and in several instances was the feature of the game.

Behind the bat, Reid has steadily developed into a strong catcher and will prove an invaluable man before the season is over. Davis is better than last year though his hitting is rather weak.

Following are the scores by innings and summaries of all games played:

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N. C., April 16:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 4 0 0 3 1-10

Univ. of N. C., 0 4 1 0 1 0 2 2 0-10

University of Virginia at Charlottesville, Va., April 18:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 0 0 3 0 0 0 1 3-7

Univ. of Virginia, 1 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 0-5

Catholic University at Washington, D. C., April 19:

(Continued on third page.)