THE BEACON CUP.

Old Class Race Trophy Will be Soon Placed on Exhibition.

Last spring an inquiry was made by several graduates for a trophy known as the Beacon Cup which was first offered in 1858 as a prize for the winners of the "Beacon Cup Regatta," and from 1866 to '77 was instituted as a prize for the spring class races. After '77 for some unaccountable reason it was no longer offered for the class races, and it was not until after considerable inquiring that it was finally found in the safe at the bursar's office where it had lain undisturbed for twenty years. The cup is a large silver goblet inscribed all over with the names of the winning crews from '66-'74. After that time there is no record on it, the names of the winning crews being inscribed on parchment until '77.

Several graduates who are interested in the revival of the old cup have subscribed toward a piece of plate on which have been engraved the names of all the winning crews (as winners of the Beacon Cup) from '74-'97. The plate is an octagonal platter, large enough to hold all the names of winning crews in the past and still leave room for the winners for twenty years to come. In the centre of the plate is the following inscription:

WNNERS OF THE BEACON CUP

SPRING CLASS RACES.

HARVARD COLLEGE.

The old cup and the new plate will be put on exhibition in the CRIMSON office window within a few days. It is hoped that it will continue to be the trophy for the class races for many years to come.