SOPHOMORE DEBATERS WIN.

Debate Characterized by Good Rebuttal and Pertinence of Argument.

The Sophomores were victorious in the first annual Freshman-Sophomore class debate, which was held in Fogg Lecture Room last evening. The question was: "Resolved, That the United States should abandon its policy of international isolation." The Sophomores supported the affirmative and the Freshmen the negative. The 1900 debaters were R D. Crane, E. E. Sargeant and J. A. Richards. J. C. Mangan, D. C. Hirsch and J. H. A. Symonds represented 1901.

The debate on the whole was very encouraging. The question was kept well. in hand and the speakers avoided going into numerous generaltiies-a virtue rare in underclass debates. Both sides rebutted well, the Sophomores the better of the two. The Freshmen, however, excelled in form.

For the Sophomores, Sargeant did the most effective work His rebuttal speech proved very damaging. For the Freshmen, Symonds made a neat summary of the negative case in closing the main debate and showed up several weaknesses in Sophomore arguments before finally resting the Freshman case.

At the close of the debate the Sophomore Debating Club gave a smoker at the Colonial Club to the team and other members of the class interested in debating. The following motion was passed: "Resolved, That the Sophomore Debating Club is in favor of keeping up the debating interest of the class and that a committee of three be appointed to consider how this interest be furthered and report at a meeting of the class to be held at the beginning of the next college year." J. A. Richards, A. L. Becker and R. C. Bolling were appointed on the committee.