The Lampoon.

The Christmas number of the Lampoon which appears today, strikes the key note of cheerful holiday good will. The editorial, most of the verses, and the most pretentious prose contribution of the issue, entitled "The Pictures' Xmas," all deal successfully with this old but always welcome theme.

"The Pictures' Xmas" is a fanciful sketch of a Christmas eve celebration in Memorial Hall in which John Harvard's statue and the familiar portraits and busts come to life and discuss old times and contemporary college affairs.

The "By the Way" column presents a decided novelty in the form of a parody of some well known lines on Christmas. The burden of the song is a promise to refrain from punning and to cultivate a higher form of wit. Unfortunately the "swear off" seems to apply only to that particular department. One is tempted to wish that such a healthy reform might be instituted throughout the Lampoon, in all issues to come.

Other noteworthy articles are "The Dog's View of It," "How Our Coming Orators are Cultivated," and a short sketch purporting to be written by the author of "Jerome Poor Thing."