THE JUNIOR DINNER.

Notable for a Large Attendance and Good Speaking.

The '99 Junior Dinner given last night at the Vendome proved even more successful than the Sophomore dinner last year. The reception committee, an experiment in the management of class dinners, was a great assistance in making the occasion an informal one. The attendance was exceptionally large and an enthusiastic class spirit prevailed throughout the evening.

The first speaker whom P. M. Jaffray, the toastmaster, called upon was H. H. Fish who responded for "Track Athletics."

Fish was followed by Captain Dibblee who made a strong appeal to the class to support the 'Varsity football team. Then came H. James, 2d, who spoke for the college press.

J. W. Farley, in response to the toast "The Class," made an earnest speech for continued class spirit. Later in the evening, at the request of the toast-master, Farley spoke about the Juniors who have enlisted. This speech was one which his class-mates will remember a long time. The only other speaker who alluded to the present war was H. F. Wolffe, captain of the newly organized '99 Company.

J. F. Perkins spoke on rowing and paid a graceful tribute to ex-Captain Good-rich, who was enthusiastically cheered.

Impersonations by C. E. Williams, a humorous speech by J. B. Holden, and music by the Junior members of the Glee Club helped things along. G. Fleming had written the words and music of a class song, which was sung by F. Turner and the members of the Glee Club.

F. O. White frankly criticised the status of debating at Harvard and made a plea for its improvement.

The poem by J. F. Brice was very well received, and covered a broader field of attack than his "binding" verses at the class dinner last year.

At the close of the dinner, J. A. Macy read a toast to the class.

Other speeches were made by E. A. Boardman, L. Eustis and G. D. Marvin.

On the whole, '99 has proved the invalidity of the only objection raised last year to a Sophomore dinner, namely that a Sophomore dinner would spoil the value of a Junior dinner.