Freshmen, 9; Brown 1901, 8.

The Freshmen defeated Brown 1901 Saturday afternoon on Soldiers Field, in a close nine-inning game. by the score of 9 to 8. At the outset, 1901 took the lead, and maintained it up to the seventh inning. McDonald was then found for four singles, which helped Brown net four runs. In the next inning, however, the Freshmen tied the score, through Kendall's base running, and in the ninth, Fincke reached first on a neat single, stole second, and finally scored on Jaynes's hit.

The batting of the Freshmen was decidly poor, for only five hits were secured, and two of those were scratches. Jaynes made two singles, and Robinson, Milne and Fincke one apiece. Brown, on the contrary, seemed to hit McDonald almost at will, securing nine hits, all of which proved timely. Although the Freshmen were easily outbatted by their opponents, their fielding was much the superior. Cropley in left field made two put-outs, one of which was a rather difficult chance. Kendall covered first base in good shape, while Robinson, Putnam and Fincke all showed up well.

The score of the game by innings follows:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard '01, 1 5 0 0 1 0 0 1 1-9

Brown '01, 0 0 3 0 1 0 4 0 0-8