Sabbatical Years 1898-99.

Five professors of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences have full sabbatical years for the year 1898-99. Assistant Professor Gates will take a leave of absence, extending through part of the year, English 22 being conducted by Assistant Professor Wendell during his absence.

Professor Ashley will be in Europe. His place in the Department of Economics will be taken by Dr. William Cunningham of Trinity College, Cambridge.

Professor Farlow intends to spend the winter in the West Indies studying and traveling. Professor Peabody will study social problems in Europe. His course in Ethics will therefore not be given next year.

Professor Mark will take his first sabbatical year in the twenty-one years of his connection with the University. He will study and travel in Europe and, while in England, will attend, as United States delegate, the fourth international zoological congress to be held in Cambridge, August 22 to 27.

Professor Davis will go abroad, giving much of his time to the study of special geographical problems in central England, southern France, and at the base of the Alps. While in the central cities he will take up special matters in the libraries of the geographical societies with reference to improving our own geographical library. During his absence Dr. Daly will conduct the elementary course in physiography, but the advanced course will be omitted.