Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

New Post Office.

The new Cambridge post office, occupying Nos. 18 and 22 Boylston street, in Read's block, was yesterday formally opened and given up throughout to the inspection of the public. As the lease for the old office has not expired it has been thought best not to conduct the business of the mails in the new office until it is completely finished. This will probably be by Saturday.

At about one-thirty o'clock the Harvard Band escorted the carriers from the old office in Brattle square to the new post office. Speeches were then made by Mr. W. J. Cunningham, superintendent for Cambridge; Mr. G. S. Evans, chief post office inspector of New York; Colonel Thomas, postmaster of Boston, and Mr. John Read, the owner of the block. The speeches were followed by a flag raising.

The new office has many advantages over the old one. It has an arrangement by which a letter, when dropped into the special delivery box, rings an electric bell. This obviates the old danger of letters lying uncollected for several hours. Woburn and Cambridge are now the only two post offices in the country which have this arrangement.

The letter boxes are to be opened by combination, instead of by key, as heretofore. The entrance for the public is at number 18 while the carriers enter at number 22. The stamping and sorting departments are entirely separate from the postage office and superintendent's room.