The Graduates' Magazine.

The March number of the Harvard Graduates' Magazine, out today, contains much that well repays the reading. It is well prefaced by the frontispiece-a facsimile of a print belonging to the Massachusetts Historical Society-"A Prospect of the Colledges in Cambridge in New England." This picture was printed in 1726, and is the earlist view of the College. It is accompanied by a brief historical sketch by Dr. Samuel A. Green '51.

The magazine continues in the historical vein with a reprint of the address delivered last year before the Memorial Society by Hon. Moorfield Storey, on "Harvard in the Sixties." Those who heard his excellent address will be glad to see it in print; and those who did not will find profit in its reading.

There are two very interesting articles dealing with modern languages. Mr. Leo Wiener, the instructor in Russian, contributes a sketch of the origin and development of the study of the Slavic languages at Harvard. The other article is an earnest plea from the Committee of the German Department-Professors Bartlett, Francke and Schilling-for a Germanic museum at Harvard. Attention is called to the change in the manner of looking at the study of German during the last twenty-five years. Whereas in 1871, when German was regarded as a "business" language there were two courses offered in German, today, when the language is approached "as a study leading to an insight into a great national civilization," there are 29 courses with an enrolment of 750 men. To supplement this "study of civilization" the writers advocate the establishment of a Germanic museum.

The first of the editorials, "From a Graduate's Window," deals with what it rightly calls a new kind of disloyalty. It is a scathing and richly deserved arraignment of the disreputable element which exists in the midst of the general body of Harvard newspaper correspondents.

In its application to the individuals who have displayed such disloyalty, the editorial can not be too warmly commnded. On the other hand, however, the writer asserts too much in thus accusing the correspondents as a body. In the case of the outrageous reports of the so-called "riot" last June, for instance, most of the mischief was done by city reporters detailed to cover the affair. With a few notable exceptions these accounts were not written by Harvard men.

The regular correspondents of the best Boston papers do their work in the CRIMSON office; some are members of the CRIMSON board; and we can answer for it that they use their best efforts to act only in a loyal spirit. It is not denied that the evil condemned does exist, and no one deprecates it more sincerely than does the CRIMSON and many of the correspondents themselves. But to read the condemnation of this writer one would imagine that the entire staff of correspondents was disloyal to Harvard. In this way the article is too sweeping and does not discriminate between the innocent and the guilty.

The other articles of the issue are as follows:

Harvard Men as College Presidents.

Two Works on Literature.

President Eliot's Report.

Benjamin Apthorp Gould (with portrait).- S. C. Chandler.

The Right to Vote for Overseers.

Dr. Holmes's Account of Young President Eliot.

The University.

Athletics.

The Graduates.