The Monthly.

The number of the Monthly which came out yesterday begins with a most interesting article by Professor Hollis on "The Moral Aspect of College Sports." "The politics, the heavy physical strain, and the distractions of certain sports seem to outweigh, in many minds," says Professor Hollis in this article, "the positive good that springs from them. This prejudice is, doubtless, based upon the abuses of ten or fifteen years back, when athletics had run mad. Things have changed, however, and the old influences have disappeared. Many practices once thought legitimate have been given up as leading to bad sport, and college boys have begun to acquire consciences both about the time taken from regular work, and about the method of winning games. The deception and brutality which once seemed an inevitable accompaniment of the games have given place to reasonably fair dealings, especially among the older universities. The games promise to become lessons in honorable conduct as well as in the development and care of the body. Not that we have reached the ideal, for there are still distressing lapses, but that the friends of intercollegiate sports have good reason to feel encouraged. The improvements have been accomplished by organization, rules, and mutual agreement among groups of colleges. After all, is not the standard by which college sports are to be judged, a moral one? And is not the moral question the one which will determine the permanency of these sports?" Here is the gist of the article. The moral effect of college sports is good. They have been improving fast, and there is no reason why the faults which they still have should not disappear. In bringing out these points Professor Hollis dwells on many subjects about which everybody talks but almost nobody thinks. Nearly the whole article might be quoted, but it is so interesting and so well worth reading that everyone interested in athletics will go through it for himself.

Of the remaining articles the most striking and considerable is entitled "The English Drama, 1889-1899." The author, J. P. White '00, shows the wide and detailed acquaintance with the drama of the day necessary for the treatment of such a subject, and is clear and interesting.

"An Experiment" by J. G. Forbes '01, "By Special Wire" by G. H. Montague '01, and "Chiky" by W. Jones '00 are three good stories. An unusually good sonnet by Frank Simonds '00, an editorial on the University Club, and several book reviews complete the number.