THE YALE ELEVEN.

A Summary of the Season's Development.

The coaches of the Yale team this year have had the difficult task of developing an eleven from a mass of raw but promising material. The early development was slow but steady, and resulted in the victory over Wisconsin. The defeat by Columbia, however, threw the team back considerably, and it was only by the most commendable persistency of the coaches and with the enthusiastic support of the college that new life has been given to the team.

Of the men who played against Harvard last year, five are on this year's eleven. In addition to this disadvantage of a small nucleus, an unusually large number of men have been injured. Thomas was one of the most promising candidates for end, but was disabled in the Columbia game. Coy has been prevented from playing at all this year by an injury to his neck. These injuries are but two of the many which have hampered the efforts of the coaches. Evidences of overtraining have existed and have made it necessary to give many of the men rests. Brown and Hale had to return home for a short time for this reason.

In spite of these disadvantages, Yale has now a team which is strong at every point except at the ends. The tackles, Hale, Stillman, and Francis, have been improving steadily during the past few weeks, and, in the early games, were used a great deal to rush the ball. Hale was tried at centre this week in spite of his light weight. Yale has strong guards in Brown and Olcott. The latter has had comparatively little experience, but his efficiency has been greatly increased by the coaching of Hickok. Brown is in fine form, and at present is looked upon as a candidate for next year's captaincy. Cunha, at centre, has not been all that was desired. He is not an aggressive man and often allows himself to be outplayed by much lighter men. A great deal of time has been spent in steadying him down by opposing him with old Yale players until he is now fairly formidable. Cutten has been disabled by illness which in part has accounted for his absence from the game. He has been in training but a short time during the whole season. Tomlinson, who will substitute, has played also as guard.

The backs are well up to the standard, though in the harder games already played, they have not shown the strength in line bucking which was expected on account of their weight. McBride has maintained his reputation as a punter and line bucker, and it is largely to his careful coaching and management that the excellent development of the team is due.