Student Volunteer Committee.

On account of the continued illness of the director, Mr. Birtwell, the Student Volunteer Committee has been prevented from setting in motion the usual charitable work done by the students, but it is expected that a new director will shortly be engaged and that the work will start soon. Many charities usually helped by the students are already asking for aid.

Since 1893, when a committee of men was chosen to organize the philanthropic work done by Harvard students, hundreds of men have annually worked under its supervision. The purpose of the organization is to give students the opportunity of doing charitable work under skilled direction, and to supply men for the numerous activities in Cambridge and Boston. Some man of expert acquaintance with charities is every year engaged as director to instruct and aid the men in the work. The members of the committee for this year are: Mr. T. H. Ropes Instr., chairman; Durant Drake '00, secretary; E. C. Stern '01, treasurer, and also Professor G. H. Palmer, Professor F. G. Peabody, R. C. Bolling '00, E. C. Carter '00, J. A. Richards '00, S. R. Quro '00, J. LaFarge '01, R. H. Dana '01, E. W. James '01, S. Thurber '01, C. F. Shaw '01, G. Bell '01, and J. H. Holmes '02.