A HARVARD VICTORY

The Freshmen Show Strong Scoring Power.--Good Punting.

The Freshman eleven, in its last game of the season, defeated the Yale freshmen, on Saturday, by a score of fifty-four to nothing. The Harvard team was superior to its opponents in every point of the game, and showed the effects of better coaching and training. After the first two touchdowns had been secured, the Yale defense broke down completely and the subsequent scoring was due as much to the wretched tackling of the Yale team, as to the fast running of the Harvard backs.

On the offensive the Yale eleven was unable to gain at any time and only twice had any chance whatever of scoring. Once in the first half, Stillman fumbled one of Craighead's punts, and offside by Harvard on the succeeding play gave Yale the ball on Harvard's 30-yard line. Again in the second half, both Baldwin and Stillman fumbled a punt and Wallace ran to the fifteen yard line before he was downed. Yale could not gain by direct rushing, however, and in the second half, Craighead's drop-kick for a goal was blocked and Yale's only chance for a score prevented.

In the second half, every man of the original eleven except Stillman, Graydon and Sugden was replaced by a substitute, and much team play sacrificed. All the backs ran well with the ball, but were weak in handling punts. Stillman did some strong punting, and outclassed Craighead, who punted for Yale, even against the wind. His line-bucking was strong and his run of seventy yards on a fake kick was the longest of the game. Hersey did some good individual rushing, but was of little use in the interference. His substitute, Kernan, did some remarkable punting in the last few minutes.

Captain Baldwin ran his team well. Daly, who took his place early in the second half, used excellent judgment and showed ability to put life into the team. He ran very well on receiving kicks. Of the other backs who played in the game, Swann was the only one of unusual merit, making much ground on mass tackle plays.

The ends played well, Clark in running with the ball, and Bowditch in the interference. Graydon's rushing was strong and fierce, but the rest of the line played an inconspicuous game. Although their failure to block any of Craighead's punts shows a lack of aggressive play, they were often penalized for offside.

Stillman kicked off for Harvard, and on the next play Craighead punted outside at the middle of the field. Baldwin began a rushing game, and varying end runs with an occasional plunge at centre, carried the ball rapidly down the field. Hersey ran twenty yards to the 10-yard line and then Yale made a short stand for two downs, but Hersey finally scored. Stillman missed this goal and five others, all of them easy.

After the next kickoff, fumbling gave the ball to Yale, who promptly punted. The Harvard Freshmen failed to gain in two end plays and Stillman exchanged punts with Craighead, gaining fifteen yards. A succession of line plays resulted in a touchdown by Derby, Yale again making a short but ineffectual stand on the five yard line.

An exchange of punts resulted in Yale's favor, but Clark gained thirty yards for Harvard on a double pass. Derby made fifteen yards in two rushes through Gaylore, and then Hersey scored, Stillman again missing the goal.

During the rest of the half, Harvard tried the tandem formation with five men back of the line, which last year's Freshman team used, but it was no more successful than the ordinary plays. The half ended with the ball in Harvard's possession in the middle of the field.

Wretched work in the back field by Stillman and Baldwin gave Yale a chance to score, which they could not take advantage of, however, on account of Harvard's strong defense. Finally Blount fumbled one of Stillman's kicks and Hersey fell on the ball. A few tackle plays pushed the ball over the line, Hersey making the score.

The brilliant rushing of Swann soon secured another touchdown on line plays. Stillman kicked the goal. Craig-head kicked off to Daly, who ran well to his own 40-yard line. Stillman scored on a fake kick, by hard rushing and clever use of interference, but missed the goal.

The Yale eleven was now utterly demoralized and the Harvard backs gained at will. Stillman missed a goal from the field, and then Clark scored on a double pass, after a run of 30 yards. Fierce rushing by Graydon on the kick-off, and on plunges into the line scored the eighth touchdown. For the rest of the game the Harvard backs tore up the Yale line for steady five and ten yard rushes and gained two more touchdowns.

The line-up follows: Harvard 1903.  Yale 1903. Bowditch, Donald, l.e.  r.e., Wallace. McGrew, Randolph, l.t.  r.t., Gaylore. Graydon, l.g.  r.g., Brown. Sugden, c.  c., Holt. Jones, Riggs r.g.  l.g., Hamlin. Knowlton, Fox. r.t.  l.t., Clark. Clark, Waterbury, r.e.  l.e., Griswold. Baldwin, Daly, q.b.  q.b., Blount. Hersey, Kernan, l.h.  r.h., Craighead. Derby, Swann, Knowles,  Sprague, r.h.   l.h., Barnwell, Oglesby. Stillman, f.b.  f.b., McClintock.

Score--Harvard 1903, 54; Yale 1903, 0. Touchdowns -- Hersey 3, Stillman 2, Derby, Knowles, Swann, Clark, Graydon. Goals from touchdowns -- Stillman 4. Umpire -- Jones, of Dartmouth. Referee -- Crolius, of Dartmouth. Timekeeper--John Graham, B. A. A. Linesmen--Nickerson of Harvard, and Griswold of Yale. Time -- Thirty-five minute halves.