YESTERDAY'S FOOTBALL

Fierce and Snappy Play.--Less Fumbling Than Usual.

A number of changes made in the line-up of the first eleven yesterday had the effect of bracing the play to a large extent. Parker was tried at left halfback, Kendall went to right half, and Warren played with the substitutes. They all played a strong and fast game and made several long runs. The presence of Reid at fullback also steadied the back field to a great extent. Baldwin, a Freshman from Exeter, was tried at quarterback, but as he was not used to the Harvard way of snapping the ball back, he was erratic in his passing. In the punting practice before the line up, however, his back field work with Parker was of a high order. Kendall played better at right half, and made some good gains through the line. The backs fumbled too much, but somewhat less than yesterday.

Burnett played centre on the second eleven and seemed well able to hold his own with Sargent. Ellis did some brilliant rushing for the substitutes. The tackles on the first eleven, Swain and Eaton, are not up to form yet. Both men play too high.

All of the men left in the squad after the first and second elevens had been picked out, have been put in charge of J. L. Knox '98, who will try to select the most promising men. He gave them work yesterday in tackling the dummy, with a little signal practice.

With the first game of the season tomorrow, the squad is in an encouraging condition. Although there is still a scarcity of centre men, which is increased temporarily by a few minor injuries to players, the number of candidates has been fair. During all of the short practice yesterday the men played a fierce, snappy game which is very encouraging.

The line-up follows: First eleven.  Second eleven. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Blagden. Swain, l.t.  r.t., Spratt. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Heath. Sargent, c.  c., Burnett. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Barnard. Eaton, r.t.  l.t., Peyton. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Hawkins. Daly, Baldwin, q.b.  q.b, E. Motley Parker, Sawin, l.h.  r.h., Putnam. Kendall, r.h.  l.h., Brayton. Reid, Devens, f.b.  f.b., Shirk.