October Monthly.

The first number of this year's Monthly not only is a capital one in itself, full of really valuable things, but also promises to be the first of a very successful series. It combines--as College magazines almost never do combine--suggestive treatment of contemporary questions with the furtherance of a distinct literary purpose.

The first article, "The Relations of Radcliffe College with Harvard," by Professor Wendell, is most timely. At once vigorous and moderate, the writer certainly carries his point "that unless a strong public sentiment declares itself against the principle of co-education at Harvard, complete co-education will slowly establish itself here," and that we shall lose our "traditional school of manly character." The menace is shown to be real and present. Our only hope, the writer says, lies in the possibility that by proper endowment Radcliffe may continue to grow as "a sweet, sound, every day college for girls," and may cease to encroach on Harvard ground.

Of the other three main contributions, H. W. Foote '97, discusses "The Significance of the International Meet," and shows, in a truly sportsmanlike fashion, just what was meant and brought about by the contest between the Harvard-Yale athletes and those of Oxford and Cambridge. "The Madness of Robert Martin," by R. C. Bolling '00, is hardly one of the writer's best stories. The phrases are now and then a little too robust, sometimes too reminiscent of the interminable Kipling; and though one can understand Martin's rebellion against society, his reconciliation seems rather abrupt, rather arbitrary. Still, the story runs brisk and strong, and is filled with genuine love of windy skies and high seas. "Dolls," though anonymous, is plainly the work of some one with a trained dramatic sense and a gift for clever dialogue. One would like to see the author try his hand at an out-and-out comedy.

The number also contains two editorial articles: one dealing with the opening of the year, the other appraising the architecture of our new buildings; and reviews of "From Sea to Sea," Mollock's "Tristram Lacy," and William Vaughn Moody's edition of Milton.