The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Communication

Fence Around the Yard.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

Among the many questions which arise in connection with the proposed new fence around the College Yard, of paramount importance is the consideration of the kind of structure necessary. Among the plans thus far suggested is that of building a fence similar to the one enclosing Soldiers Field, with the main idea of securing "exclusiveness." Such a formidable fence would not suit the present requirements. The fence in question was built from a practical standpoint only, for such was the exigency of the case. It was built to repel; that is not Harvard's policy. As for exclusiveness, if Harvard has not enough of that already there surely can be none gained by emulating the present tendency of newer colleges to create exclusiveness by artificial means. Something less magnificent is needed. Now, in view of the fact that the present style of fence has met the approval of many generations since the founding of the College, it is clear that a radical departure in style would be in direct violation of one of our oldest traditions. What is needed, then, is a slight improvement in permanency and looks over the present fence. Of styles that might not be too radical may be suggested a modest stone wall three or four feet in height, which in time, by the aid of vines, may fit in with the general tone of age and dignity of the College. UNDERGRADUATE.