Lecture on "Henry V."

Before a large audience, which completely filled the floor and lower gallery of Sanders Theatre, Mr. Clapp last evening delivered the second of his series of lectures on the Dramas of Shakspere.

The subject was the historical play, Henry V, distinguished among Shakspere's series of historical plays by its atmosphere of peace. Written after the melodramatic Henry VI, King John, Richard II, and others, it represents the highest development of Shakspere's views on war and peace. It was composed in 1599, at the zenith of his creative power, and is his only play of which the date of composition is definitely known.

It is worth noting, as an interesting fact, that the game of tennis, which was then being introduced into England, was made mention of in this play. Also, that the choruses, of which there are six, are the only recorded occasions on which Shakspere ever gave utterance to discontent at the poor appointments of his theatres.

Shakspere's genius is well shown in the way the developed the character of Henry V out of that of his father, Henry IV. Bolingbroke's duplicity and shrewdness resolve themselves into Henry's upright wisdom, and the father's touch of goodness, which only occasionally showed itself, sees its fullest development in his son's high religious sense, which made him advanced of his age in this respect. Henry's action in making war against France may be defended on the ground of sincerity of motive.

Among the passages quoted in illustration and explanation of the topic were Henry's stirring speech to his soldiers on the eve of the battle of Agincourt, and his prayer and exhortation the next morning, just before opening the battle with the French.