"Twelfth Night"

In the fourth lecture on the Dramas of Shakspere, Mr. Clapp continued the discussion of the comedies, taking "Twelfth Night" as his special topic.

The origin of the title "Twelfth Night" probably came from the fact that it was originally produced on the Feast of the Epiphany. The second title, "What you Will," is a much disputed addition, the most simple explanation of which seems to be that it was given to express the author's ironical discontent at the title "Twelfth Night."

The characters in this play naturally resolve themselves into two divisions, of which Viola and Malvolio are the centres, around which the other characters are grouped. Throughout the play the character of Viola predominates. Although she is the type of modesty and gentleness, her character has an underlying force which makes itself felt at all times, and it is she who is able to study and control the fickle nature of the Duke, her lover.

The less serious side of the play is represented by the three typical characters, Malvolio, Toby Belch, and Sir Andrew Aguecheek. Malvolio may be described as a human donkey, one in whom the true relation of the parts of the character is hopelessly impaired by an inordinate self-conceit. Toby Belch, on the other hand, possesses a certain amount of wit and good humor which make him not unlike the famous Falstaff.

The aspect of the play set forth by these characters is, it must not be forgotten, the less important side. The play is, after all, the love-story of Viola, and represents the highest genius of Shakspere for producing noble, high-minded characters, of whom Viola, in her way, stands pre eminent.