RAINY DAY PRACTICE

Fumbling Gives Second a Chance to Score.--Amherst Today at 4.

The football team will play Amherst on Soldiers Field at 4 o'clock this afternoon. This will be the first chance this season to compare the Harvard and Yale elevens, as Yale defeated Amherst last Wednesday, 27 to 0. Amherst was handicapped at the beginning of the autumn, as only five men from the eleven of last season returned to college this year. Plenty of good material, however, has appeared. L. Warren '90 has been coaching the team. The record for this fall is: Amherst 20, Williston 0; Yale 27, Amherst 0; Amherst 0, Trinity 0.

The line-up will be as follows: Harvard.  Amherst. Farley, r.e.  l.e., Swift. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Favour. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Park. Sargent, c.  c., Howard. Riggs, l.g.  r.g., Burke. Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Morse. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Ballentine. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Anderson. Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Blanchard. Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Clymer. Graydon, f.b.  f.b., Phillips.

The practice yesterday took place in a hard rain which made the field very slippery and difficult to play on. This was good for the team in that it gave the men experience in handling a wet ball, which may be of advantage in important games. For the first ten minutes of the game between the first and second elevens very little fumbling was done, but toward the end it seemed impossible for the backs to handle the ball cleanly. Both teams relied entirely on mass plays and punts, as end running was out of the question. The first team barely held its own in punting, but in line plays it did better, scoring one touchdown by straight football. The second team also got a touchdown, on a fumble by Graydon.

The principal fault brought out by the game was the failure of the backs, especially Kendall and Ellis, to interfere for each other. Several times Ellis was entirely out of the play. Kendall and Kernan have also acquired the habit of considering the play over as soon as they are tackled and of not fighting their way along until actually stopped. All of the backs fumbled repeatedly, but much of this was excusable. Sawin broke his nose early in the game and had to retire. His work was rather weak, but his running back of punts was very creditable for a rainy day. In the line Campbell did the best work. He made some very good tackles, and several times broke up the second team's plays before they reached the line. Farley at right end was slow. He was not alert enough in watching the plays and seemed unable to do any effective work. He was especially slow in getting down under punts. Bowditch and Ristine had the same faults. Fincke handled the ball well, making only one poor pass, and got down the field quickly on punts. At centre Sargent was active and quick, but his passing was still unreliable, especially before punts. Of the guards Barnard did the best work. He seemed to have gotten over much of the awkwardness which has marred his playing heretofore. J. Lawrence and Blagden were almost invincible on the defense, but were weak in opening holes. R. Lawrence, substitute right tackle, devoted too much attention to his opponent and did not watch the play; while Knowlton, the other substitute tackle, was very slow. Kernan's punting was not as good as usual, and Ellis also was unable to give the ball either distance or direction.

The work of the line-men of the second eleven was very good. Cutts, who played left tackle for a short time, was very strong and gave J. Lawrence the hardest work he has had this year. Morse, left end, broke the first team's interference repeatedly and made some good tackles. His was the best work done by any of the ends except Campbell. The centre men of the second team played well together and withstood the mass plays very well.

The game consisted of twenty minutes of continuous play. Soon after the game started, Graydon fumbled the ball in the middle of the field, and Hoxie picked it up and ran fifty yards for a touchdown. After the kick-off the first team secured the ball on the second's forty yard line; and by a series of short gains through the line by Kernan, Kendall and Graydon, together with ten yards given for off-side play, carried the ball to the five yard line. Here Fincke made a fumble, but regained the ball; on the next play Graydon made the touchdown. After the next kick-off the second team came near scoring. Boyd fumbled the kick, and on the next play Kernan dropped a poor pass for a punt, making it the first team's ball on its own five yard line. Kernan, however, succeeded in punting the ball out of danger on his next attempt. During the rest of the half both teams punted frequently, but fumbles on both sides prevented possibility of scoring.

The line-up of the first and second elevens was as follows. First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Farley, Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Morse. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Cutts, Robinson. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Robinson, Peyton, Wright. Sargent, Sudgen, c.  c., Roberts. Carroll, Riggs, l.g.  r.g., Peyton, Grew. Blagden, Knowlton, l.t.  r.t., Lewis, Meier. Campbell, Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Hoxie, Cooper. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly. Kendall, Boyd, r.h.b.  l.h.b., W. R. Lawrence. Sawin, Kernan, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Derby, Jaynes. Graydon, Ellis, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.