A COLLECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS

The Library Asks for the Students' Help in its Work.

The Harvard Camera Club has given notice that early in November an exhibition will be held of the photographs that were contributed last spring to the collection that the Library wished to bring together as a record of current College life. Most of these pictures will be put away with the journals written last March by some sixty members of the University, both officers and students, and will not be opened for sixty years. The photographs already in hand illustrate many places of College life and include most of the College buildings, but there are doubtless many other pictures available which would be welcome additions. Will not those who have taken photographs of the College buildings and their surroundings kindly look over their prints and if they can add something to the collection already in hand, bring it to the Library before the first of November in order that they may be included in the November exhibition?

The Library also desires to begin in earnest what has been often talked of, a permanent open collection of College pictures, to include not only views of the grounds and of Cambridge, but also snap shots illustrating College ways and current events of all kinds. For such a collection not only recent photographs are desirable but even more interesting are those taken long ago, such as those made by Professor Cooke in 1842-44, which are among the very earliest photographs made in this country. If every period from that time to the present day could be represented, and if the students now in College and their successors will take pains to add to the collection, a continuous record of the growth of the College, of the greatest interest and value, will be formed.

If the members of the Camera Club and other friends will enter into this work seriously, the Library will undertake to classify and preserve with care what is brought in. The Library is prepared to bear the expense of making the prints as far as it is able, but as only a limited sum can be used for this purpose annually, gifts of prints as well as the offer of negatives from which prints can be made will be very welcome.

In order that the collection may not be too bulky it is desired to limit it in general to prints not more than 7x9 inches in size. These will be mounted on cards of uniform size, with a smaller uniform series for smaller pictures, and will be kept in drawers like the cards in a card catalogue. Large photographs of special interest or beauty will also be welcome and will be kept in portfolios. Platinum or other permanent prints are indispensable, and every photograph should, if possible, be dated, and should bear the name of the photographer.

I hope every member of the University who owns a camera will keep this idea in mind and will contribute from time to time to the collection. There is opportunity for great variety of subject. The pictures should include for example, College buildings from every point of view, streets in the vicinity of the College, especially such as are most likely to change their appearance, houses of professors, interiors of College rooms and of professors' houses, College customs, College characters, groups, athletic events, society buildings, and so forth. WILLIAM C. LANE, Librarian.