The New Debating System.

The opportunities in debating for an upper-classman or Sophomore three years ago were limited to college courses unless he succeeded in making the old "Union" or "Forum," the rival debating societies for the three upper classes. In the latter case, he was usually unable to debate before the club more than three or four times during the year. Furthermore, the rivalry between the clubs seldom showed itself in inter-club debates.

Of late, increased interest in debating has led to the organization of separate debating clubs for each class. Of these, the upper-class and Sophomore clubs are conducted on what is known as the "camp system," which is as follows: The club first elects its officers, among whom are two captains. The captains then divide the remaining members of the club into two camps which oppose each other in weekly or fortnightly debates during the year. It is the duty of the captains to choose questions for debate, procure judges and open and close the argument for their side; or they may appoint one of their camp vice-captain to act for them. It is also their duty, at some time before the debate, to assign points for their men to look up and present. They thus prevent needless repetition of a point advanced and ensure a logical presentation of their case. At the end of the season, a dinner is held that ends the club's existence.

The advantages of this system are many. Camp pride with its spirit of direct rivalry brings about more spirited debate and more nearly adequate preparation; and besides this, the system gives a social side to debating that does much to make it more attractive.

The University Debating Club, to vary what might perhaps have become a monotony of regular camp debates, arranged a class championship contest in debating and a series with outside organizations. The speakers were chosen in competitive debates and were coached regularly by members of former University teams. These contests gave a number of men, who had too little experience for University debating, a chance to meet strong teams before large audiences. This year, such debates will be continued and increased in number.

In the first half year debates will be held with outside teams. The Senior club will meet a team from the William E. Russell Club of Boston University; the Junior club will meet teams from Tufts and Bowdoin; the Sophomore club will meet a team from the Young Men's Congress of Boston; the Freshmen club will meet teams from Worcester and Exeter Academies. Some time after the mid-years there will be Senior-Junior and Sophomore-Freshman debates and a final contest between the winning teams to decide the class championship.