ERRATIC PRACTICE.

The Second Team Scores Against the First.--Much Fumbling.

The work of the first eleven yesterday was poor. The second team scored, kept the play almost entirely in the first team's territory, and prevented the first team from scoring more than one touchdown. The reason for this weak showing lay mainly in the constant fumbling of the backs. The team's interference for all the line plays and some of the end runs was fast and well formed, and the defensive work of the line was very good. The handling of punts, however, was very poor and was directly responsible for the second team's touchdown, as the first eleven's line did not allow the second to gain more than three yards in all on straight plays.

Roberts was given a trial at centre, but he was so unsteady that he was soon taken out and Sargent was put in. Although Roberts is very strong, as was shown by his breaking up several plays against the line, he is so slow that he gets in the way of his own backs. Burnett, centre last year, will be out for practice this afternoon. Baldwin played a short time at quarterback, but his fumbling and poor handling of punts weakened the first team greatly. Kendall, Ellis and Kernan bucked the line well, and interfered for each other more successfully than they have done heretofore. No gains could be made through Lee and Barnard, but they were not very successful in opening holes. Graydon played his position well, and on the first kick off made a good run of forty yards in an open field. Ristine followed the ball accurately and made some good tackles, but was slow in getting down under kicks. Sawin and Campbell stayed out of the practice to rest. Gierasch was on the field but did not play. Hallowell did a little running and tried some drop-kick goals, most of which were successful.

The first team scored two minutes after the game began. Steady gains through the line by Ellis and Kernan and a final plunge by Ellis made the touchdown. After the kick off, through Mifflin's punting and through fumbles by Kendall and Baldwin the ball was kept near the first team's goal for about eight minutes. Finally Mifflin made an unsuccessful attempt at a goal from the field, and the ball rolled over the goal line where L. Daly fell on it. Offside play and fumbling prevented the first eleven from scoring further.

The line-up was as follows: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Ristine, Clark, r.e.  l.e., McDonald, Cooper. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., McGrew, Knowlton. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Rainsford, Carroll. Roberts, Sargent, c.  c., Greene. Lee, l.g.  r.g., Grew Graydon, Eaton, l.t.  r.t., Lewis, Wright. Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Morse, Littig. Daly, Baldwin, q.b.  q.b., L. Daly. Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hersey, W. R. Lawrence, Jaynes. Kernan, W. R. Lawrence, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Swann, Derby. Ellis, Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Mifflin.