TEAM WINS AT WEST POINT.

The Harvard Eleven Superior in Weight. West Point Makes Costly Fumbles.

Harvard defeated West Point on Saturday by the score of 29 to 0. The high score was due principally to the large number of costly fumbles made by the West Point backs and to the advantage of weight in the Harvard line. Harvard also made two fumbles at critical times, besides losing a great deal of distance and chances to score through off-side play and holding. In spite of this, however, the team had little difficulty in making regular gains, principally through the line, the whole eleven playing a snappy and fast offensive game. Nevertheless, whenever West Point got the ball a weak spot was usually found in the Harvard team and short regular gains resulted, but sooner or later a fumble put an end to the rally. Harvard's strength lay in bucking the line and running in the open field, and the weakness was in the defensive work of the left side of the line and in interference for end runs.

The all-around playing of Captain Daly was the only brilliant work in the game. He ran the team with excellent judgment, working against West Point's weak spots. He also kicked a goal from the field, ran seventy yards through the West Point team for a touchdown, and made several other long runs on the kick-offs. Another encouraging feature was the work of Putnam, who was tried for the first time this year. He kept his feet well and made many short gains. Ellis and Kernan, who retired from the game soon after the beginning because of slight injuries, did some strong line bucking. Stillman interfered fairly well, but could gain little himself. The frequent failures of Kendall to gain around the ends were caused by loose and slow interference. The work of the men on the right side of the line, Ristine, J. Lawrence and Burnett, was very aggressive in offense and fairly steady in defense. On the other side of the line, however, Campbell allowed Laurson to make several good gains around him, and Graydon and Lee let the West Point backs slip through them for good distances. Roberts was tried at centre in the second half and did better than usual. He was still slow in the open field, but was very valuable in stopping plays against the line.

Directly after the first kick-off Laurson went around Campbell for fifteen yards, but Harvard got the ball on a punt and began a march toward the goal. Short plunges by Ellis and Kendall and two runs of eight and twenty yards by Kendall and a final buck of four yards scored the first touchdown. J. Lawrence kicked the goal. For the rest of the half Harvard was unable to force the ball over the line again. Once it was taken to the fifteen yard line and again to the five yard line, but fumbles by Putnam and Kendall prevented scoring. Finally near the end of the half Daly made a skilful drop-kick goal from the twenty-five yard line.

In the second half Harvard got the ball on her thirty-five yard line, and without losing it once carried it slowly down the field for a touchdown. Most of the ground was gained by Putnam, who was sent through right tackle on every other play. The next touchdown was made in the same way, West Point in both cases making a plucky stand on the two yard line. The last touchdown was the result of Daly's brilliant run of seventy yards after catching a punt. During the rest of the game the play was even and the half ended with the ball in the middle of the field.

The line-up was as follows: Harvard.  West Point. Ristine, r.e.  l.e., Smith. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Farnsworth. Barnard, Burnett, r.g.  l.g., Boyers. Sargent, Roberts, c.  c., Bettison. Lee, Hollingsworth, l.g. r.g.,  Goodspeed. Graydon, l.t.  r.t., Bunker. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Burnett, Zell. Daly, q.b.  q.b., Casad Kendall, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Laurson. Kernan, Putnam, W. Lawrence, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Clark, Phipps. Ellis, Stillman, f.b.  f.b., Phillips.

Score--Harvard, 29; West Point, 0. Touchdowns--Kernan, Putnam 2, Daly. Goals from touchdowns--J. Lawrence 4. Goal from the field--Daly. Umpire-- Langford of Yale. Referee--Deland of Harvard. Linesmen--Hallowell of Harvard and Dockery of West Point. Time--20 minute halves.