LONG FOOTBALL PRACTICE.

A 30-Minute Half Played. -- Sawin's Good Drop-Kicking.

The football practice yesterday afternoon was harder and longer than usual. After the usual preliminary work the first and second elevens lined up and played for half an hour without a rest. All the men were exhausted, but only a few injuries, and those slight ones, resulted. The play was not run as a regular game, as the coaches gave the first eleven several extra tries at goals from the field. The work of both elevens was rather loose and there was very little team play. The first, however, was stronger in individual work, kept the ball constantly near the goal and scored once on straight football. The first team also made four goals from the field and forced the second to make a safety. The coaches were more energetic than usual and kept the men hard at their work throughout.

The playing of the first eleven was much the same as in the Bowdoin game. The backs could gain fairly well around the ends, but could make only short distances through the line. This was due partly to the slow starting of the runners and partly to the failure of the linemen to keep the holes open. The defensive work was better, and the second eleven was unable to gain any ground whatever. There was some improvement in running back the kick-offs, as the interference formed quickly and the runners stuck to it well. The entire team was considerably affected by the heat, and its work was tame and spiritless.

Eaton went in at left tackle on the first eleven for the first time this year. He put plenty of energy in his work, was very active, and succeeded better than the other men in the line in helping the backs. He endured the hard work well and was not exhausted. J. Lawrence did not watch the ball carefully, and allowed Swann to run twenty-five yards on an old-fashioned fake kick. He stopped the second attempt at the same play for a loss. Ristine, who has just gained permission from the Faculty to play, went in at right end on the first eleven for a few minutes, but had not opportunity to show his ability. Farley, whom he relieved, was slow and did not get into the plays well. Campbell, on the other end, played a very aggressive game. He got down very well under punts, broke up several plays through the line, and blocked a kick. Just before the end of practice he hurt his ankle slightly and retired. Sargent had a bad day at centre, allowing Roberts to get away from him repeatedly and stop plays through the line. Fincke started the plays in quick succession, was valuable to the runners on end plays, and made several brilliant runs in the open field. He made only one bad pass. Kendall made two twenty-five yard runs around left end and broke through the line for thirty yards, but he was slow in starting in the interference and did not gain consistently in line plays. Kernan and Ellis were unsuccessful at line-plunging because of slow starting. Of the backs Sawin alone was up to his usual form. He made the touchdown on a thirty-five yard run around right end, and did some fairly good punting. The best part of his work, however, was his drop-kicking. Out of seven attempts at goals from the field, he succeeded in making four, three from the twenty-five yard line and one from the thirty-five yard line.

After receiving the kick-off the first eleven carried the ball to the twenty yard line by Kernan's short end run, Kendall's thirty yard plunge through left tackle and several short line bucks by Ellis and Kendall. Sawin then made two attempts at goals from the field, and on the second he was successful. Fincke ran thirty yards after receiving the kick-off, and Kendall punted thirty yards. Swann took the ball around Farley's end for twenty yards on a fake kick. The second team was then forced to punt and Fincke ran the ball back fifteen yards. The first made two short gains, and then Sawin, with poor interference, got around right end for thirty-five yards and made a touchdown. The teams lined up on the second team's twenty-five yard line, and Sawin was given four trials at drop-kicks. He missed the first two on account of poor passes from the centre. After three exchanges of punts Sawin made his last attempt at a goal from the thirty-five yard line and made it easily.

The line-up of the first and second elevens follows: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Farley, Ristine, r.e.  l.e., McDonald. J. Lawrence, R. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Robinson, Meier. Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Grew, Carroll. Sargent, c.  c., Roberts, Greene. Riggs, Carroll, l.g.  r.g., Rainsford. Eaton, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Lewis. Campbell, Bowditch, l.e.  r.e., Littig. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., E. Motley, L. Daly. Kendall, Boyd, Derby, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Hersey, W. R. Lawrence. Kernan, Sawin, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Swan. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., Ives, Mifflin.