AT THE FOOTBALL FIELD.

The Eleven Barely Defeats the Second 15-Minute Line-up with Freshmen.

The work of the first eleven yesterday was slow and spiritless. Sawin, Ellis, Kendall and Hallowell were in the signal practice and all of them were in good form except Ellis, who was a little slow. Captain Daly was not on the field. The first eleven played a game of twenty-five minutes with the second team, and then the Freshman team was brought in for a fifteen minute line-up with the first.

In the game with the second team, the first started out well and scored a touchdown very quickly by good rushing, but the men lost interest after that and only good luck prevented the second from scoring. The linemen, especially Sargent and Barnard, were ineffective on offensive play, and rather weak at times on the defense. The backs did not keep up to their interference and failed to put their formations through well. The first team was twice held for downs by the second, and lost the ball continually by fumbles and missed signals.

The first team opened the game well by getting the ball on a punt near the middle of the field and rushing it slowly toward the goal by mass plays. Finally Putnam skirted left end and made the only touchdown of the game. J. Lawrence missed the goal. Soon after the kick-off Putnam made a fifty yard run around left end aided by Campbell's interference, but the second held for downs and no scoring resulted. After this the play was always in the second team's favor, the first losing the ball by misplays whenever it was gained. The ball was in the second's possession near the middle of the field when time was called.

In the game with the Freshmen the first team scored a touchdown and a goal from the field and played in a little better form than in the first game. The backs all gained fairly steadily, but were twice stopped by the Freshman line. The touchdown was made by Putnam after a series of short gains had taken the ball near the goal. The goal from the field was made by Burnett a few minutes later on a place-kick after Stillman's fair catch.

The line-up: First Eleven.  Second Eleven. Ristine, r. e.  l. e., Morse. J. Lawrence, r. t.  l. t., Spratt. Barnard, r. g.  l. g., Carroll, Rainsford. Sargent, c.  c., Sugden. Lee, l. g.  r. g., Grew. Eaton, l. t.  r. t., Lewis. Campbell, l. e.  r. e., Clark. Baldwin, q. b.  q. b., Webb. Putnam, l. h. b.  r. h. b., Hersey. Derby, r. h. b.  l. h. b., W. R. Lawrence. Stillman, f. b.  f. b., Mifflin.