Middle State College Convention.

The fourteenth annual convention of the Association of Colleges and Preparatory Schools of the Middle States and Maryland will be held at Philadelphia Friday and Saturday of next week under the auspices of the University of Pennsylvania. There will be three general topics discussed. These are: (1) The question whether the higher education of women should differ from that of men, (2) the way American universities and schools should best prepare men for public service, and (3) oratory and debating. The last topic most concerns Harvard, as it it under this head that a number of Harvard men will speak. To each topic a half day's discussion is allotted and a significant fact is the large amount of time that is devoted to debating, showing the importance which has attached itself to this subject in the colleges and schools of this part of the country.

Of the three papers which are to be read on "Oratory and Debating" the second will be delivered by Professor G.P. Baker on "Intercollegiate Debating." In the discussion which is to follow, parts will be taken by Hammond Lamont '86, editor of the New York evening Post; Dr. R.M. Alden '96, of U. of P., and Professor E.E. Hale Jr., '83, of Union College. Mr. Lamont was instructor in the English department from 1892-1895 and was associated with Professor Baker in work in argumentation in '94-'95. Dr. Alden was associated with Professor Baker in the same kind of work during the year '96-'97.

Other prominent speakers are President Hadley of Yale, Professor Schurman of Cornell, Dr. Pritchet of Technology. Mr. Thwing of Western Reserve, and the Hon. David B. Hill.